Monthly donors are our greatest Shelter Helpers! Consider becoming a Shelter Helper and making automatic, monthly donations in lieu of an annual gift. Shelter Helpers ensure we have the funds to provide for our clients during our greatest times of need.
Here are a few examples of what your monthly donations can do:
- $25: clean sheets for one of our 60 beds
- $50: a metro card for one week of job searching
- $100: two weeks of after school snacks
Changes can always be made to donations and can be stopped at any time. Your monthly gift is invaluable to our clients. We appreciate your generosity and continued support of Carpenter’s Shelter and our mission.
Workplace giving is simple and easy! Through workplace giving, you can designate a portion of your paycheck to Carpenter’s Shelter instead of remembering to write a check. Carpenter’s Shelter is a proud member of both the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign (CFC). UW #8228/ CFC #87293
Is your company having a charity fair? Let us know! We’d love to come talk to your company about Carpenter’s Shelter. Please contact Monise Quidley, at (703) 548-7500 x203 or MoniseQuidley@CarpentersShelter.org.
Groups from local businesses and corporations may also be interested in organizing an Impact or Service Day for Carpenter’s Shelter. If you’re interested in hosting an event like this, please contact Volunteer Coordinator Jamila Smith to discuss opportunities!
Carpenter’s Shelter welcomes gifts in the form of stock and mutual funds. Making a gift of appreciated stock can benefit you as well as our residents. In addition to receiving an income tax deduction for the full market value of the securities, you may also avoid capital gains on the appreciation of your stocks. Please consider making a gift of stock to maximize tax savings and meet your charitable giving goals this year.
- You have the satisfaction of making a significant gift to Carpenter’s Shelter
- You receive gift credit and an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer, no matter what you originally paid for them
- You pay no capital gains tax on the securities you donate
- You can designate your gift to any purpose or program of your choosing
To make a stock gift, notify your broker of your intention and Monise Quidley or (703) 548-7500 x203 for more information.
Bequests by Will
Many of our supporters have chosen to continue their investment in the future of our residents even after they are gone. By including Carpenter’s Shelter in your will, you can bring hope to less-fortunate men, women and children in our community for many years to come.
Planned giving is easy. All it takes is a quick phone call to your lawyer to add a charitable designation to your will. Charitable bequests allow you to designate an amount or percentage of your estate to Carpenter’s Shelter after you’ve taken care of your family.
Leave a legacy. Please remember Carpenter’s Shelter in your will.
- Maintain control of your assets during your lifetime
- Make a significant gift to Carpenter’s and experience the satisfaction of knowing you are continuing to help those in need even after you are gone
- Have the flexibility to modify your bequest if your circumstances change
- Set an example to your heirs and family of the values you cherish
- Reduce the amount of your taxable estate
- Pass assets on to family members at reduced tax costs
- Increase income and effective rate of return
- Contact Monise Quidley at 703-548-7500, x203 for additional information on planned giving.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include Carpenter’s Shelter in your plans, please use our legal name and Federal Tax ID: 54-1571849
- Establish your gift. All this takes is including a few sentences in your will or living trust with the help of your estate planning attorney.
Circle of Hope
The Circle of HOPE (Helping Others through Partnership and Engagement) was founded in 2010 by three Alexandria mothers who were deeply concerned about local homelessness. They hoped to make a long term difference but between raising a family, school, church and work, they were not be able to become weekly volunteers at Carpenter’s Shelter. Searching for a middle ground between weekly volunteering and anonymous yearly donations, these three women came together to form Circle of HOPE.
Rather than just making a donation, Circle members have a unique opportunity to engage with the Shelter and other Circle families by participating in special Circle of HOPE projects. Circle of HOPE members are allowed to bring their children to designated volunteer events. (All regular volunteers must be 18+) Circle of HOPE members are invited to participate in:
- Easter Egg Stuffing
- Cocktails and Canned Goods Garden Party
- Back to School Supply Distribution
- Thanksgiving Basket Assembly
Who are Circle of HOPE members? Any family or individual who cares about ending homelessness is encouraged to join! Membership is established by making a minimum of a $250 contribution per calendar year, which directly supports Carpenter’s Shelter operations and programs.
How long is my commitment? Your commitment is on an annual basis and is renewed with a new contribution every 12 months. We hope that you will be an engaged member for many years to come, but there is no requirement to commit beyond one year.
Is my contribution tax-deductible? Your contribution is 100% tax-deductible and you will receive appropriate supporting documentation from Carpenter’s Shelter for tax purposes.
How can I make my membership payment? If you are ready to join now, please visit our online donation page. You may make your contribution in one payment of a minimum of $250 or may choose to spread your payments out on a monthly or quarterly basis.
Are you already a Circle of Hope member? Help us spread the word by sharing this flyer with friends and neighbors!
Carpenter’s Shelter is excited to introduce our newest giving circle, Young Philanthropists!
Young Philanthropists offers a unique opportunity to become involved in some of Carpenter’s Shelter volunteer and networking opportunities such as service days, happy hours, and a way to connect with like-minded individuals.
The goal of Young Philanthropists is to harness the energy, enthusiasm, and creativity of young professionals to draw attention to and put an end to homelessness in the Alexandria area. There are countless opportunities available for each member to not only get involved with our established programs and yearly fundraising events, but to also connect with community members and make an impact in the lives of those working towards breaking the cycle of homelessness.
Membership is established by making a donation of a minimum of $60 per year to Carpenter’s Shelter. Donations can either be made all at once or broken up into monthly or quarterly payments throughout the year.
Young Philanthropists is more than a donation. It’s the opportunity to expand your professional network, develop your skills as a leader, and make a lasting impact in the homeless community. This annual donation not only opens up new philanthropic doors for you, but also contributes to the success of Carpenter’s mission.
Who are Young Philanthropists members?
You’re never too young to start giving. Prospective members are in their 20s and 30s with a passion for ending homelessness and giving back to their community. Membership is established by making a donation of a minimum of $60 per year to Carpenter’s Shelter, which directly supports our operations and programs.
How long is my commitment?
Your commitment is on an annual basis and is renewed through a new contribution every 12 months.
Is my contribution tax-deductible?
Your contribution is 100% tax-deductible and Carpenter’s will provide you with the appropriate documentation for your tax records.
How can I join?
If you are ready to become a member of Young Philanthropists, please visit our online donation page. You may make your donation of $60 in one payment or you may spread your payments out through monthly or quarterly donations.
Carpenter’s Shelter relies on the generous in-kind support of the community to ensure that our clients’ most basic needs are met. Carpenter’s Shelter accepts donations on the following dates and times:
- Monday-Friday 8:00am-7:00pm
- Saturday 11:00am-5:00pm
- Sunday 11:00am-5:00pm
Please note: Carpenter’s Shelter is not accepting any food, clothing, or toiletries donations beyond those listed below. Further, due to limited storage space, we cannot accept household items, televisions, or toys.
- New adult men and women’s coats
- New adult men and women’s thermal long johns
- New adult men and women’s underwear
- New hand and toe warmers
- New twin sheet sets
- New twin air mattresses
- Loaded Smart Trip cards
- Gift cards to local stores like Target or Walmart
- Laundry detergent
- Baby formula
- USB flash drives
Want to support the shelter without leaving home? Visit our Amazon wish list to purchase needed items instantly.
Start a Fundraiser
Join the Carpenter’s Shelter fundraising team and start a fundraiser of your own! Carpenter’s Shelter relies on our supporters to help spread the word about our mission and help fund our programs and services. Starting your own fundraiser can be simple and fun. Examples of fundraisers include:
- Having a lemonade stand or bake sale
- Asking for donations to Carpenter’s in place of birthday gifts
- Hosting a car wash or yard sale
- Asking friends and family to sponsor you to run in a race like Carpenter’s Run for Shelter