The holiday season is often the busiest time of the year at Carpenter’s Shelter. During the winter months, we serve Alexandria’s chronically homeless population with David’s Place and our Winter Shelter, we provide non-perishable items to our Community Case Managed Clients, and we are launching Young Philanthropists, our newest giving circle. As a 24 hour emergency shelter, we rely heavily on the generosity of community members, whether that be through donations or hours volunteered.
All the ways you can give:
Come to our special events:
- Scottish Christmas Walk Parade in Old Town Alexandria – December 2nd, 2023
- Del Ray Holiday Tree and Menorah Lighting – December 4th, 2023
- (Bring Toiletries for Carpenter’s Shelter to the Del Ray Holiday Tree and Menorah Lighting!)
- Community Open House – TBD
- Barnes and Noble Gift Wrap – TBD
- Give the gift of charity this holiday season and make a donation in a loved one’s name in lieu of a gift.
Help us in the kitchen
- Volunteer to serve lunch or dinner to our clients
- Donate non-perishable items to our pantry in the months of November and December
- Bake a casserole for us to serve during lunch and dinner in the event the weather prevents meal volunteers from arriving
- Donate frozen items such as meat or vegetables
- Mention Carpenter’s Shelter’s mission during your holiday party to your family and friends
- Donate gift bags and wrapping paper
- Donate supplies to make gingerbread houses and holiday centerpieces
- Volunteer to gift wrap at Barnes and Noble
- Commit to volunteering 50 hours
- Recruit your friends, family, and coworkers for a service day
For any and all volunteer or donation inquiries, please contact Demi Henry.