The Monitor Manager is responsible for ensuring complete staffing coverage of Monitors during the evenings, overnights, weekends, and holidays for the Alexandria Community Shelter, a 64-bed emergency shelter operated by Carpenter’s Shelter in partnership with the City of Alexandria. The Monitor Manager is responsible for orienting Monitors to shelter operation policies to support a consistent approach to service delivery. Using a client-centered and trauma-informed lens, the Monitor Manager is responsible for providing direct services Monday – Friday, 4 pm to 12 am to ensure the basic needs of residents are met. The Monitor Manager collaborates with the agency’s Directors and Managers Team, the City of Alexandria, as well as volunteers, other non-profit agencies, and the faith community.
About the Organization:
Since 1988, Carpenter’s Shelter has met the immediate needs of people experiencing homelessness in the City of Alexandria. Through the operation of emergency shelter, day shelter, and winter shelter as well as rapid rehousing and permanent supportive housing programs, Carpenter’s Shelter identifies housing solutions supports sustainable independence for more than 700 individuals and families each year.
Title: Monitor Manager
Reports to: Director, Alexandria Community Shelter (ACS)
LOCATION: Alexandria Community Shelter (2355-B, Mill Rd, Alexandria, VA 22314)
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
- Directly lead a team of Monitor staff in the daily operation of services to ensure clients basic needs are met (providing clean linens for the rooms, hygienge products when available, food from the kitchen, and information about community-based resources, etc.)
- Provide complete oversight of the shelter during shifts; monitor resident’s activities to promote a safe and welcoming environment and provide a regular presence in all areas of the shelter
- Foster a welcoming and non-judgmental atmosphere for clients by actively listening, showing empathy, and providing a safe space for individuals seeking shelter, ensuring they feel respected and supported from their very first interaction.
- Schedule Monitor staff during the weekdays (Monday – Friday: 4pm – midnight) and during the weekends (from 12:01am on Saturday morning through midnight on Sunday evening from 4pm – 12am, 12am – 8am, 8am – 4pm), and for 24 hours on holidays
- Facilitate a quarterly team meeting with Monitor staff
- Assess staffing needs and collaborate with the ACS Director to hire additional Monitors as needed
- Work closely with volunteers, community partners, and other Carpenter’s Shelter programs staff to ensure a continuity of services
- Communicate necessary activity/information via Yammer, phone calls, message, emails, etc. to staff so that all are aware of activity occuring during Monitor shifts; communicate issues to on-call staff and supervisor immediately
- Accurately complete necessary data collection during each shift, including the number of residents in the shelter, and other reports as required by Carpenters Shelter or the City of Alexandria
- Ensure the safety and security of the shelter during shift. This includes complete knowledge and function of alarm system, emergency exit procedures, appropriate action during emergency situations, weather emergencies, etc.
- Disperse the mail received for residents and community clients
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings as directed by supervisor
- Ensure Monitors report to work on time so staff working can be relieved by the incoming shift, supporting a smooth and seamless turnover
- Verify and approve staff timesheets
- Adhere to the Carpenter’s Shelter Code of Ethics and SEED Values
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED, or equivalent experience human services or a related field
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with households receiving services
- Ability to maintain documentation
- Strong time management and organizational skills; reliable and self-motivated
- Proficient skill level in Microsoft Suites (Word, Excel, Power Point, Teams, SharePoint)
- Valid driver’s license and ability to pass a background check
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours, if needed, to accommodate client and community needs
- Experience supporting teams in a residential setting or 1-3 years of management and supervisory experience
- 2 years experience working with a diverse population experiencing homelessness
- Lived experience or direct personal connection to homelessness
Salary: $50K – $55K plus benefits (medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 403(b), PTO, Sick Leave, holidays)
Applicants should forward a cover letter and resume electronically to HR@CarpentersShelter.org by November 15, 2023. In the subject line, type: “ACS Monitor Manager.” No telephone calls accepted. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Carpenter’s Shelter will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Carpenter’s Shelter is an Equal Opportunity Employer and agrees not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, age, gender, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Successful candidates must be committed to working with a culturally diverse population.