The Finance Director will be responsible for the oversight of all finance, accounting, and financial reporting activities. The Finance Director will oversee all day-to-day finance operations of an approximately $5 million budget with functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grants administration related to finance. The Finance Director will ensure that Carpenter’s Shelter has the systems and procedures in place to ensure audits are free of negative findings. The Finance Director will be involved in supporting the board of directors’ finance and audit committees and will collaborate on other special projects with the senior leadership team. The Finance Director work closely with program directors and their staff to ensure finance functions support program operations.
Carpenter’s Shelter is open to filling the Finance Director position via a contractual arrangement, such as an independent contractor or consultant, in addition to traditional employment. The position will be 20-30 hours per week and is remote eligible up to 3 days per week. The decision regarding the employment structure will be made based on the qualifications and preferences of the selected candidate and the needs of the organization. Candidates interested in a contractual arrangement are encouraged to indicate their preference in their application.
TITLE: Finance Director
REPORTS TO: Deputy Director
About the Organization:
Since 1988, Carpenter’s Shelter has met the immediate needs of people experiencing homelessness in the City of Alexandria. Through the operation of emergency shelter, day shelter, and winter shelter as well as rapid rehousing and permanent supportive housing programs, Carpenter’s Shelter identifies housing solutions to support sustainable independence for more than 700 individuals and families each year.
• Maintain all financial accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
• Enter financial data into the agency’s systems to process payments for approved invoices.
• Ensure internal control and safeguards for revenue receipt, organizational and program budgets as well as actual expenditures.
• Oversee all financial accounting, including program budgets and grants; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with program and grant budgets throughout the funding period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants.
• Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements, to include the rate of spending, for the Executive Director and Deputy Director and the senior management team as needed.
• Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the program directors; collaborate with program directors to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.
• Lead senior management team in the annual budgeting process; administer and review all financial plans and compare actual results to identify, explain, and correct variances, as appropriate.
• Coordinate and support all financial audit activity; partner with the Executive Director to support the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
• Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
• Adhere to the Carpenter’s Shelter Code of Ethics.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or Finance and over five years of experience.
• The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously
• Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic and fundraising colleagues who may not have finance backgrounds
• Technology savvy with experience utilizing accounting and financial reporting software
• Strong time management and organizational skills
• A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
• A multi-tasker with the ability to complete multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
• Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours, if needed, to accommodate client and community needs
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to Carpenter’s Shelter’s mission.
• A valid ID and ability to complete a background check
• Experience working in nonprofit organizations
• Lived experience or direct personal connection to homelessness
Salary: $40 – $45 per hour plus PTO, Sick Leave, and holidays
Application Process: Applicants should forward a cover letter and resume electronically to HR@CarpentersShelter.org by February 16, 2024. In the subject line, type: “Finance Director.” No telephone calls accepted. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Carpenter’s Shelter will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Carpenter’s Shelter is an Equal Opportunity Employer and agrees not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, age, gender, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Successful candidates must be committed to working with a culturally diverse population.