Carpenter’s Shelter seeks a dynamic experienced Communications & Development Associate to play a key role in our Development Office. This position requires a thoughtful, compassionate individual with strong writing and communication skills. We are seeking a self-starter, who takes initiative, can multi-task, manage time wisely to meet multiple deadlines within a short time period, conduct research, think creatively analyze data and be a team player.
About the Organization:
Located in the former Macy’s at Landmark Mall temporarily as our new building is being built near Old Town Alexandria, Carpenter’s Shelter supports the homeless to achieve sustainable independence through shelter, guidance, education and advocacy.
Carpenter’s Shelter serves more than 625 homeless and formerly homeless children and adults each year.
Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Director of Development, the Communications & Development Associate is responsible for the coordination and execution of the development plan, communication initiatives and special events.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist Director of Development to raise funds through grants, sponsorships, special appeals, fundraising events, and other revenue generating streams.
- Grant Writer- research, write and edit grants and prepare reports.
- Experience with digital media. Manage the implementation of the communications strategy and social media campaigns for the shelter.
- Oversee online fundraising initiatives and strategies including Giving Tuesday, Spring2ACTion, Do More 24 and other digital fundraising concepts.
- Special Events:
- Assist with planning and implementation of the work plan for Carpenter’s Shelter’s annual Cook-Off and other events as needed.
- Network, solicit, and follow up with sponsors, donors and vendors.
- Assist with executing on-site logistics for the day of the event.
- Assist with the marketing and public relations for each event.
- Compile reports and dashboards for the Director of Development and Executive Director.
- Works to acquire new donors.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Development.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree and solid experience in communications/marketing, fundraising, and event planning.
- Strong database skills are preferred. Excellent working knowledge of software applications including Adobe Creative Suite (expert in Photoshop and In Design), Luminate, Raiser’s Edge, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Candidate must have exceptional oral, written and presentation skills.
- Strong strategic and analytic skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills are a must!
- An interest in homelessness.
- A sense of humor and a positive attitude.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- Valid driver’s license preferred.
Salary: Upper $40’s. Commensurate with level of education and experience.
Applicants should forward a cover letter and resume electronically to Monise W. Quidley, Director of Development at MoniseQuidley@CarpentersShelter.org by January 17, 2020. In the subject line, type: “Communications & Development Associate”. No telephone calls accepted.
Carpenter’s Shelter is an Equal Opportunity Employer and agrees not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability or age. Successful candidates must be committed to working with a culturally a diverse population.