Available Position: Development Associate
Carpenter’s Shelter seeks a dynamic experienced Development Associate to play a key role in our Development Office. This position requires a thoughtful, compassionate individual to engage in successful donor interactions and strategies. We are seeking a self-starter, who takes initiative, can multi-task, manage time wisely to meet multiple deadlines within a short time period, conduct research, think creatively and be a team player.
About the Organization:
Located near Old Town Alexandria (930 North Henry St., Alexandria, VA 22314), Carpenter’s Shelter supports people experiencing and at risk of homelessness to achieve sustainable independence through shelter and housing placement, guidance, education, and advocacy. Carpenter’s Shelter serves nearly 600 homeless and formerly homeless children and adults each year. www.CarpentersShelter.org
Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Director of Development, the Development Associate is responsible for the management, coordination and execution of the Raiser’s Edge database, development plan, special events and projects, and assists with our online fundraising and direct mail initiatives.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist Director of Development to raise funds through major donor campaign, sponsorships, special appeals, fundraising events, and other revenue generating streams.
- Maintain, update and ensure the accuracy and the integrity of donor information in Raiser’s Edge.
- Process donations and prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
- Manage relationships in the database and communicate accordingly with various stakeholders for assignments and updates.
- Reconcile donations with the Finance Department monthly.
- Research donor information and compile reports and dashboards for the Director of Development and Executive Director.
- Work to acquire new donors.
- Special Events:
- Assist with planning and implementation of the work plan for Carpenter’s Shelter’s annual Cook-Off and other events as needed.
- Work with Communications and Grants Associate, Volunteer Coordinator and Special Event Committee volunteers on sub-committee assignments/needs for each event.
- Network, solicit, and follow up with donors, sponsors and vendors.
- Assist with executing on-site logistics for the day of the event.
- Assist with the implementation of the communications strategy for the Shelter.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Development.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree and solid experience in fundraising, data analytics, and major donors.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience with Raiser’s Edge and strong database skills are preferred. Excellent working knowledge of software applications including WordPress, Excel, PowerPoint, Canva, InDesign, and Luminate.
- Candidate must have exceptional oral, written and presentation skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills are a must!
- An interest in homelessness.
- A sense of humor and a positive attitude.
- Ability to pass background check.
- Valid driver’s license.
Salary: Salary range $57,000-$62,000. Commensurate with level of education and experience.
Applicants should forward a cover letter and resume electronically to Monise W. Quidley, Director of Development at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 10, 2023. In the subject line, type: “Development Associate”. No telephone calls accepted. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Carpenter’s Shelter is an Equal Opportunity Employer and agrees not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, age, gender, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Successful candidates must be committed to working with a culturally a diverse population.