Available Position: Development Associate
Carpenter’s Shelter seeks a dynamic experienced Development Associate to play a key role in our Development Office. This position requires a thoughtful, compassionate individual to engage in successful donor interactions and strategies. We are seeking a self-starter, who takes initiative, can multi-task, manage time wisely to meet multiple deadlines within a short time period, conduct research, think creatively and be a team player.
About the Organization:
Located near Old Town Alexandria (930 North Henry St., Alexandria, VA 22314), Carpenter’s Shelter supports the homeless to achieve sustainable independence through shelter, guidance, education and advocacy. Carpenter’s Shelter serves nearly 625 homeless and formerly homeless children and adults each year. We are temporarily located in the former Macy’s at Landmark Mall (5701-D Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304) while our permanent location is under redevelopment.
Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Director of Development, the Development Associate is responsible for the coordination and execution of the Raiser’s Edge database, development plan, special events and projects, and assists with our online fundraising and direct mail initiatives.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist Director of Development to raise funds through major donor campaign, sponsorships, special appeals, fundraising events, and other revenue generating streams.
- Maintain, update and ensure the accuracy and the integrity of donor information in Raiser’s Edge.
- Process donations and prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
- Manage relationships in the database and communicate accordingly with various stakeholders for assignments and updates.
- Reconcile donations with the Finance Department monthly.
- Research donor information and compile reports and dashboards for the Director of Development and Executive Director.
- Works to acquire new donors.
- Special Events:
- Assist with planning and implementation of the work plan for Carpenter’s Shelter’s annual Cook-Off and other events as needed.
- Work with Communications Associate, New Heights Campaign Associate and Special Event Committee volunteers on sub-committee assignments/needs for each event.
- Network, solicit, and follow up with donors, sponsors and vendors.
- Assist with executing on-site logistics for the day of the event.
- Assist with the implementation of the communications strategy for the Shelter.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Development.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree and solid experience in fundraising, data analytics, and major donors.
- A minimum of three (3) years experience with Raiser’s Edge and strong database skills are preferred. Excellent working knowledge of software applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Luminate.
- Candidate must have exceptional oral, written and presentation skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills are a must!
- An interest in homelessness.
- A sense of humor and a positive attitude.
- Ability to pass background check.
Salary: Upper$40’s. Commensurate with level of education and experience.
Applicants should forward a cover letter and resume electronically to Monise W. Quidley, Director of Development at MoniseQuidley@CarpentersShelter.org by June 12, 2020. In the subject line, type: “Development Associate”. No telephone calls accepted.
Carpenter’s Shelter is an Equal Opportunity Employer and agrees not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability or age. Successful candidates must be committed to working with a culturally a diverse population.