Development and Communications Associate
Carpenter’s Shelter seeks a dynamic experienced Communications & Development Associate to play a key role in our Development Office. This position requires a thoughtful, compassionate individual with strong writing and communication skills. We are seeking a self-starter, who takes initiative, can multi-task, manage time wisely to meet multiple deadlines within a short time period, conduct research, think creatively analyze data and be a team player.
About the Organization:
Located near Old Town Alexandria, Carpenter’s Shelter supports the homeless to achieve sustainable independence through shelter, guidance, education and advocacy. Carpenter’s Shelter serves more than 610 homeless and formerly homeless children and adults each year.
Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Director of Development, the Communications & Development Associate is responsible for the coordination and execution of the development plan, special events, and communications initiatives.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist Director of Development to raise funds through grants, sponsorships, special appeals, fundraising events, and other revenue generating streams.
- Grant Writer- research, write and edit grants and prepare reports.
- Assist with the implementation of the communications strategy for the Shelter.
- Oversee online fundraising initiatives and strategies including Giving Tuesday, Spring2ACTion, Do More 24 and other digital fundraising concepts.
- Special Events:
- Assist with planning and implementation of the work plan for Carpenter’s Shelter’s annual Cook-Off and Run for Shelter and other events as needed.
- Work with Development Associate and Volunteer Coordinator and Development Committee volunteers on sub-committee assignments/needs for each event.
- Network, solicit, and follow up with sponsors, donors and vendors.
- Assist with executing on-site logistics for the day of the event.
- Assist with the marketing and public relations for each event.
- Compile reports and dashboards for the Director of Development and Executive Director.
- Works to acquire new donors.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Development.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree and solid experience in communications/marketing, fundraising, and event planning.
- Strong database skills are preferred. Excellent working knowledge of software applications including Adobe Creative Suite, Luminate, Raiser’s Edge, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Candidate must have exceptional oral, written and presentation skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills are a must!
- An interest in homelessness.
- A sense of humor and a positive attitude.
- Ability to pass background check.
Salary: Mid to upper $40’s. Commensurate with level of education and experience.
Applicants should forward a cover letter and resume electronically to Monise W. Quidley, Director of Development at MoniseQuidley@CarpentersShelter.org by February 16, 2018. In the subject line, type: “Communications & Development Associate”. No telephone calls accepted.
Carpenter’s Shelter is an Equal Opportunity Employer and agrees not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability or age. Successful candidates must be committed to working with a culturally a diverse population.
This is a professional part-time non-exempt position requiring knowledge and experience in monitoring in an Emergency Shelter and Day Shelter program. With the ability to deliver human services and work effectively with persons at various stages of our Continuum.
Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Head Monitor, the Shelter Monitor provides complete shelter oversight during their shift which almost exclusively includes weekends, evening and holiday hours. Responsibilities include carrying out all necessary operations while on duty, ensuring a safe and secure environment in a respectful and dignified manner while supervising and assisting clients and volunteers.
• Complete responsibility of the shelter;
• Monitor the building safety and structure and immediately communicating needs to on-call staff;
• Monitor resident’s activities/compliance in the shelter, administering incident reports or taking necessary action to ensure the safety of all clients, volunteers, etc.
• Work closely with volunteers, community partners and other deparment (David’s Place, Winter Shelter, Admin, etc.) staff to ensure a continuation of services in the shelter;
• Consistent presence throughout the shelter, ensuring that you are aware of activity going on in all areas; maintaining safety for all staff and clients;
• Convey necessary activity/information via “yammer”, phone calls, message, emails, etc. to staff so that all are aware of activity occuring during monitor shifts;
• Ensure that necessary information is communicated to your supervisor so that proper action may occur and there is, at all times, a continuation of program services;
• Accurate completion of all necessary data collection and paperwork specific to each shift;
• Professional demeanor at all times. This includes modeling the behavior that we expect of our clients, acting in a positive manner when addressing our clients and ensuring that you receive the same in return;
• Report on time and work entire shift, monitor must always be relieved by next shift staff; completing the required turnover;
• Time sheet completion required at the end of last shift worked each pay period;
• Perform other duties as assigned and necessary for shelter operations; and
• Adhere to the Carpenter’s Shelter Code of Ethics.
Qualifications: This position requires a high school diploma (or equivalent) and a minimum of 3 years experience working with a diverse population experiencing homelessness along with energy, enthusiasm, professionalism, an ability to multi-task and possess great communication skills.
Contact: Keith Long, Intake and Monitor Coordinator at KeithLong@CarpentersShelter.org.